03 Jul Research Scientist at Activatec
Activatec are looking for two Research Scientists with a background in chemistry, biotechnology, chemical engineering or related discipline to join our company. We are an ambitious start-up recently funded for two 3.5-years Innovation Projects (H2020) related to the extraction and purification of bioactive ingredients for its use in nutraceutical, cosmetics and fertiliser products.
The successful candidates will contribute to and will be required to take responsibility for the day-to-day conduct of work packages within the scope of the projects. This work requires extensive hands-on knowledge of any of those: downstream processing technologies, biotechnology and chemical/process engineering research methodologies. During the work you will develop methods for the recovery and purification of bioactive ingredients and polymers from fermentation media and different feedstocks, design and build various biotechnological downstream units (filtration, extraction, adsorption, centrifugation, crystallisation, etc), optimise their performance, carry out products characterisation and finally upscale the production of the compounds. Based on the data obtained, you will conduct techno-economic and life cycle analyses to optimise the developed processes. You will be also involved in the implementation of the technologies at several pilot plants run by our commercial partners in Europe.
The position will be offered on a fixed-term contract for a period of 24 months in the first instance, with the opportunity to extend this contract subject to funding availability. You will collaborate with research centres, other SMEs and international companies in Europe and may be asked to attend project meetings for no more than 3 days. You will have high responsibility and decision-making, multi-tasking role, young environment and a highly flexible schedule with the possibility of working from home (depending on the circumstances). The package includes shares of the company.
- Design and build test equipment for proof-of-concept work
- Conduct experimental work on the development of the processes for the recovery and purification of bioactive compounds and polymers
- Develop and optimise suitable analytical methods for the studied compounds
- Design models, drawings and P&ID’s, LabView programs, etc
- Write product specifications, research papers, patents and progress reports
- Prepare and deliver presentations on the project’s progress
- Deal with customers, suppliers, manage and administer any issues related to the projects
- Essential skills: Proven technical and experimental experience in biotechnological/chemical engineering laboratories and knowledge of various experimental techniques; Experience in biotechnological/chemical engineering process development; Excellent communication skills – both written and oral
- Desirable skills: PhD degree in the relevant area; Experience in the development of fermentation processes, biotech products isolation and purification, downstream techniques (cells disruption, centrifugation, filtration, adsorption, crystallisation, drying); Experience in products commercialisation; Knowledge of scale up; Experience in modelling using relevant software packages (LabView, GaBi, SimaPro, Unisim, Aspen, etc)
Job Type: Contract
Salary: £30,000.00 to £33,000.00 /year