30 Jun Microbiology Technician
Deep Branch Bio are an investee company of BioCity Group.
Deep Branch is a carbon recycling biotechnology company. We use microbes to convert carbon dioxide from industrial emissions into high-value products. We’re a fast-growing and agile startup with commercial activities both in the UK and the Netherlands.
Sustainability of animal farming and broader concerns regarding reduction of emissions are two of the biggest problems of our time. By 2050 the world’s carbon emissions must be net-zero to avoid environmental catastrophe, yet by this point our planet’s population is predicted to increase by a third. With average consumption of animal products increasing, it’s thought that the output of animal farming will have to double to meet demand.
Of the total emissions associated with the average person, approximately one quarter comes from diet and the majority of those emissions are associated with animal products. Although at Deep Branch we recognise the best way to reduce dietary carbon intensity is to reduce meat consumption, we’re pragmatic in recognising that not everyone sees it this way. At Deep Branch, we’re tackling this problem through the development of Proton™, our single-cell protein.
We have partnered with two multinational animal feed producers to co-develop Proton™-based feeds for use in aquaculture and poultry. Over the next two years, we’ll be scaling our output and working together to finalise feed formulations for an anticipated 2023 market launch. Rather than relying on the conventional protein sources of protein, fishmeal and soy, which are often shipped from South America, Proton™-based feeds can be produced from locally sourced ingredients with 90% less carbon intensity. Proton™ is not just dramatically more sustainable, it’s also cost-competitive, making the transition to Proton™-based feeds an easy decision to make.
Job Title: Microbiology Technician
Start date: 1 September 2020
Work Location: Nottingham, UK
Division/Department: Core R&D
Reports to: Head of Strain Development
Time commitment: 1.0 FTE
Conventional working hours: Any 8 hours per day between 8AM and 7PM, Monday to Friday. Evening and weekend work may be required.
Various degrees of experience will be considered for this role, but applicants are expected to have a background in a microbiology-related field:
• Applicants with less experience are expected to have an excellent academic track record and are welcomed to apply with a shorter term role in mind (e.g. gaining 1-2 years’ experience prior to starting a PhD)
• Applicants with more extensive experience (i.e. >5 years in a technical role) are also welcomed
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Assist in the setup, running and turnaround of continuous fermentation processes
• Sampling and documentations of continuous fermentation processes, including sample preparation and shipping samples for third-party analysis
• Basic molecular and microbiology techniques (e.g. PCR, gel electrophoresis etc.)
• Become proficient with routine analytical chemistry and associated data analysis, and other forms of analysis relevant to the Deep Branch process
• Preparation of liquid and solid media and other consumables for day-to-day use, setup and monitoring of automated liquid handling robotics platform
Essential Skills, Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• A BSc and preferably MSc in molecular biology, microbiology, synthetic biology or a related field
• Candidates are expected to have a proven track record of being able to accurately follow Standard Operating Procedures and diligently report on the outcomes of experiments
• Strong data management proficiency is expected, with good proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
• Strong communication skills and a willingness to learn new concepts
• Other: English language fluency
Prefered Skills, Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• Experience working with bioreactors is preferred, with at least one years experience working in a microbiology laboratory or related environment
We’re an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity of thought and know that this often comes from a diversity of life experiences.
All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
We request that applicants provide a cover letter and CV to [email protected] and following assessment of these, candidates may be invited to an online interview
The interview process may have multiple stages, but we will endeavour to be as transparent as possible and let you know as soon as we can if we think that there will not be a good fit
In light of COVID-19, Deep Branch is following government guidelines on travel and working arrangements
This may require an extra degree of flexibility from both parties both during the recruitment process and the beginning of the role
Gross annual salary: £20-25K
Holidays: 33 days inclusive of national holidays (national holidays falling between Monday and Friday contribute to total holidays, regardless of working schedule for employees above 0.6 FTE. All employees can choose for these to contribute to holiday allowance and work national holidays subject to approval)