BioCity Group is seeking an experienced, dedicated Investment Analyst to support the Investment Director as well as working closely with the Investment Team within an exciting fast- growing business. The successful candidate will work closely with and learn from the other members of the investment and venture development teams on all aspects of investing, ranging from identification of opportunities, assessment, due diligence and investment administration. This is an excellent opportunity for somebody who wants to build a career in investment to gain a broad experience. There will also be the opportunity to undertake a two-year part-time MBA, fully funded by the company.
Home to more than 200 pioneering Life Science and Healthcare companies, BioCity is an ambitious business incubator dedicated to helping small businesses tackle global healthcare challenges. Not the typical business incubator, BioCity takes a holistic approach to business support. It offers an in-house accelerator programme, investment platform, flexible lab and office space, UK wide network of mentors and specialised equipment, all housed within the various BioCity business locations.
BioCity primarily invests in companies that are based in its incubators and/or are graduates of its accelerator programmes. Investments are made from two sources: a managed fund that is a JV between BioCity and AstraZeneca, and BioCity’s own balance sheet cash. To increase the availability of balance sheet funds BioCity recently completed an investment from BGF and BSI.
We are looking for demonstrated enthusiasm for and interest in investing in life science companies, a strong life science background- ideally to PhD level- and excellent analytical skills. You should be highly self-motivated, professional and capable of managing a busy workload and prioritising tasks in a calm and flexible manner. A high level of confidentiality and discretion will be paramount, as will the ability to work well within a small team and in line with BioCity’s culture.
Your place of work can be flexible and your contracted hours are 37.5 hours a week. A competitive salary will be paid based on experience. BioCity will contribute an amount equivalent to 4.5% of your salary to the company pension scheme and, on successful completion of probation, you will be eligible for life assurance of 4 x your annual salary along with participation in the BioCity Group share option scheme. You will also have the opportunity to undertake a part time MBA if appropriate.
To apply, please forward your CV and covering letter, along with details of the documentation you hold to support your right to work in the UK.
Based at: Flexible (BioCity Nottingham, BioCity Scotland or Alderley Park)
Reporting to: Investment Director
To contribute to the generation of a balanced portfolio of quality investments owned and managed by BioCity.
BioCity’s approach to investing is much more hands-on than that of a traditional venture capital investor. We are often closely involved with developing and refining early stage propositions and sometimes entirely responsible for creating a company where we see an opportunity. The role will therefore include the following:
Sourcing high quality investment deal flow:
• Working closely with BioCity’s Venture Development and Incubation teams to understand pipeline opportunities and to support and guide their development into investment-ready businesses;
• Identifying other sources of investment opportunities through networking with universities, agencies and other sources
Providing analytical expertise
• Preparation of investment analysis reports which includes researching markets and validating information in company business plan
• Supporting deal execution including preparation of documentation and liaising with lawyers.
Supporting the Investment Director
• Generate and track up to date metrics for reporting purposes as requested
• Assist with the preparation of advisory panel meetings, committee and board meetings including preparation of information packs
• Assist with the preparation of reports to the investment committees and boards on investee companies, pipeline and fund performance;
• Supporting the Investment Director with BioCity’s angel co-investment platform, including platform administration.
• Degree level essential, preferably master’s or PhD in health related discipline or Medical degree (we will also consider support to the successful candidate to gain additional qualifications aligned with the role)
In fulfilling the role described above we expect you to continually demonstrate:
• Detailed knowledge of, the healthcare, med tech, diagnostics sectors and the biotech and pharmaceutical industry
• Strong analytical skills to be able to support decision-making on investment propositions
• Tact, diplomacy and sound judgement
• Ability to build networks and influence both within and outside the BioCity business
• Confident and convincing presentation and persuasive people skills
• An ability to think strategically and to plan the development of investment activity accordingly