Concept Life Sciences is a knowledge based, science led business focused on delivering the services, expertise and capabilities our clients require. Our business is focused on several core sectors including pharmaceutical, biotechnology, food, environmental, agrochemical, petrochemical, chemical and consumer products industries. We support drug research, discovery and development to our pharmaceutical and biotechnology clients; provide testing and specialist analytical services and consultancy to the pharmaceutical, food and environmental sectors, toxicology services to the pharmaceutical, chemical, agrochemical and consumer products industries and materials chemistry services to the petrochemical industry.
Reporting to the Group Head of Chemistry, this role will lead the existing team of 6 – 8 analytical and purification chemists and facilities across a number of sites, supporting all internal chemistry teams in addition to providing services to external customers. Due to the breadth of sectors and industries we provide services to this is a varied role and would suit an experienced individual who thrives on a wide variety of different challenges.
- Provide strong leadership and people management skills
- Be the focal point for the department, displaying the confidence, commitment and positive attitude required to drive others on to succeed and achieve in their day-to-day activities.
- Provide guidance to the team to ensure that the department can provide expertise in the latest techniques
- Demonstrate strong technical competency gained through practical knowledge over a range of techniques
- Provide effective project management
- Take responsibility for H&S of the analytical chemistry department
- Effectively manage resources according to budget
- Protect intellectual property of Concept Life Sciences and customer at all times
- Work alongside business development and other sites within the Group
- Provide technical support to the sales and quotations team
- Liaise with other scientific figures across the Group to provide a bespoke array of services
- Foster an environment of continuous improvement
- BSc/MSc/PhD in an analytical, chemical or related scientific field with demonstrated, relevant experience
- Broad practical experience in an analytical chemistry setting, for example;
- method development using techniques such as LCMS, UPLC, SFC, GC and GCMS
- NMR knowledge is desirable but not essential
- small molecule structure elucidation
- Proven experience in project management and customer interaction
- Proven experience in line management and staff development
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and an ability to produce clear and concise reports and also to present effectively to customers and all levels of the organisation
- Ability to demonstrate organisational and strategic perspective clearly seeing the bigger picture
37.5h per week, Monday to Friday. Flexibility is required as due to the nature of this role some travel within the UK will be required
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer as a minimum: Pension scheme, Healthcare Cash Plan, Retail Discount scheme, Cycle to Work scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Discounted Gym membership rates and local Reward & Recognition schemes. In our science-based roles we offer structured career progression, more details of which can be discussed during the recruitment process. We offer a range of learning and development opportunities depending on the role, with all employees having access to a range of internally delivered training modules as standard.