30 Jun Engineering Team Lead
Engineering Team Lead
Deep Branch Bio are an investee company of BioCity Group.
Deep Branch is a carbon recycling biotechnology company. We use microbes to convert carbon dioxide from industrial emissions into high-value products. We’re a fast-growing and agile startup with commercial activities both in the UK and the Netherlands.
Sustainability of animal farming and broader concerns regarding reduction of emissions are two of the biggest problems of our time. By 2050 the world’s carbon emissions must be net-zero to avoid environmental catastrophe, yet by this point our planet’s population is predicted to increase by a third. With average consumption of animal products increasing, it’s thought that the output of animal farming will have to double to meet demand.
Of the total emissions associated with the average person, approximately one quarter comes from diet and the majority of those emissions are associated with animal products. Although at Deep Branch we recognise the best way to reduce dietary carbon intensity is to reduce meat consumption, we’re pragmatic in recognising that not everyone sees it this way. At Deep Branch, we’re tackling this problem through the development of Proton™, our single-cell protein.
We have partnered with two multinational animal feed producers to co-develop Proton™-based feeds for use in aquaculture and poultry. Over the next two years, we’ll be scaling our output and working together to finalise feed formulations for an anticipated 2023 market launch. Rather than relying on the conventional protein sources of protein, fishmeal and soy, which are often shipped from South America, Proton™-based feeds can be produced from locally sourced ingredients with 90% less carbon intensity. Proton™ is not just dramatically more sustainable, it’s also cost-competitive, making the transition to Proton™-based feeds an easy decision to make.
Job Title: Engineering Lead
Start date: September – December 2020
Main place of work: Nottingham/Remote (UK); OR Zuid Holland and/or Limburg (NL)
Travel commitments: Average business travel anticipated to consist of 1-3 day trips within Europe at a frequency of every 4-8 weeks
Division/Department: Engineering & Scale-up
Reports to: CEO
Time commitment: 0.8 – 1.0 FTE
Conventional working hours: Any 8 hours per day between 8AM and 7PM, Monday to Friday. Evening and weekend work may be required.
• Candidates must have at least eight years experience in the full life cycle of technology development, preferably with evidence of scaling a (bio)chemical technology to commercial scale
• Excellent communication and people management skills are required, with a proven track record of project management, preferably with extensive procurement experience
• The role will oversee all aspects of the scale-up of Deep Branch’s CO2 utilisation technology platform. Working closely with the rest of the executive team (CEO, COO and Finance & Innovation Director), the Engineering Lead will be responsible for managing the engineering considerations related to achieving full-scale commercialisation
• Long-term strategic planning for scale-up and deployment of the CO2-to-X platform at full-scale, including offtake agreements and associate logistical considerations
• Work alongside Finance & Innovation Director for mid-(to-long)-term financial planning for scale-up development
• Co-lead on later stage engagement with corporates looking to valorise gas streams
• Leadership, oversight, development and implementation of the scale-up of Deep Branch’s CO2-to-X platform
• Oversee in-house engineering team of 1-3 Chemical/Process engineers, including project management and working alongside COO to ensure efficient communication between other relevant internal stakeholders (e.g. fermentation and strain development teams)
• Oversight of developmental activities at scale-up locations (e.g. Deep Branch’s demo hall in mainland Europe)
• Top-level interaction with third-parties involved in scale-up, including budgeting and ensuring best use of internal people/resources
• Liaison with key stakeholders related to operational sites for project planning
Essential Skills, Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• MEng (or equivalent degree) in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or a related field
• Chartered Engineer status with 8+ years experience in Development and Capital Projects
• Proven track record of Development & Capital Project execution, with clear communication and management skills, with the ability to understand and translate the technical, financial and operational considerations of projects to multiple stakeholders
• Procurement experience
Prefered Skills, Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• Experience deploying multiple technologies in different operational environments
a) integrating new technologies into existing infrastructure/ecosystem; and
b) experience in first-time deployment of technologies, either in terms of novel technology or novel applications
• Proven financial management capabilities, (preferably with CFA Level I-III qualification)
We’re an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity of thought and know that this often comes from a diversity of life experiences.
All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
We request that applicants provide a cover letter and CV to [email protected] and following assessment of these, candidates may be invited to an online interview
The interview process may have multiple stages, but we will endeavour to be as transparent as possible and let you know as soon as we can if we think that there will not be a good fit
In light of COVID-19, Deep Branch is following government guidelines on travel and working arrangements
This may require an extra degree of flexibility from both parties both during the recruitment process and the beginning of the role
Gross annual salary: £60-70K
Holidays: 33 days inclusive of national holidays (national holidays falling between Monday and Friday contribute to total holidays, regardless of working schedule for employees above 0.6 FTE. All employees can choose for these to contribute to holiday allowance and work national holidays subject to approval)