30 Jun Bioprocess Development Engineer
Bioprocess Development Engineer
Deep Branch Bio are an investee company of BioCity Group.
Deep Branch is a carbon recycling biotechnology company. We use microbes to convert carbon dioxide from industrial emissions into high-value products. We’re a fast-growing and agile startup with commercial activities both in the UK and the Netherlands.
Sustainability of animal farming and broader concerns regarding reduction of emissions are two of the biggest problems of our time. By 2050 the world’s carbon emissions must be net-zero to avoid environmental catastrophe, yet by this point our planet’s population is predicted to increase by a third. With average consumption of animal products increasing, it’s thought that the output of animal farming will have to double to meet demand.
Of the total emissions associated with the average person, approximately one quarter comes from diet and the majority of those emissions are associated with animal products. Although at Deep Branch we recognise the best way to reduce dietary carbon intensity is to reduce meat consumption, we’re pragmatic in recognising that not everyone sees it this way. At Deep Branch, we’re tackling this problem through the development of Proton™, our single-cell protein.
We have partnered with two multinational animal feed producers to co-develop Proton™-based feeds for use in aquaculture and poultry. Over the next two years, we’ll be scaling our output and working together to finalise feed formulations for an anticipated 2023 market launch. Rather than relying on the conventional protein sources of protein, fishmeal and soy, which are often shipped from South America, Proton™-based feeds can be produced from locally sourced ingredients with 90% less carbon intensity. Proton™ is not just dramatically more sustainable, it’s also cost-competitive, making the transition to Proton™-based feeds an easy decision to make.
Job Title: Bioprocess Development Engineer
Start date: September-December 2020
Work Location: Zuid Holland and/or Limburg (NL), with the flexibility to travel between the two where appropriate
Travel commitments: Average business travel anticipated to consist of 1-3 day trips within Europe at a frequency of every 4-8 weeks
Division/Department: Engineering & Scale-up
Reports to: Engineering Lead
Time commitment: 0.8 – 1.0 FTE
Conventional working hours: Any 8 hours per day between 8AM and 7PM, Monday to Friday. Evening and weekend work may be required.
• Candidates must have at least four years experience in the process engineering of (bio)chemical processes
• Communication in this role will be key to ensure a healthy flow of information between internal and external stakeholders and evidence of strong project and time management capabilities are crucial
• The role is envisioned as the bridge between Deep Branch’s fundamental R&D performed by the fermentation team and the long term scale-up of the company’s CO2 utilisation platform. For this, it is vital that the candidate has a thorough understanding of the core process, its necessary upstream and downstream processes and a holistic understanding of key factors related to scale up
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Gain a full understanding of the key biological underpinnings of the Deep Branch CO2-to-X platform through interaction with the technical team
• Be the in-house lead for process design work for the FEED study of a full-scale commercial plant, working to integrate the technology with a commercial partner:
– Successfully lead Deep Branch internal efforts and coordinate with third parties input for completion of preliminary design and specification for a full scale commercial facility, resulting in a complete conceptualised vision
– Assume responsibility for the majority of internal engineering design work and play active role in the procurement process
Alongside the scale-up team, successfully complete preliminary site planning:
– Review scale up stages and assess engineering/financial implications for Determine the nature of size each of the next phase of scale-up alongside the executive team
– Provide cost estimates for different scale options for the plant
• Aid in the deployment of the Mobile Pilot Unit with external partners as a means to validate the Deep Branch platform using new industrial gas streams
• Assist with operations and process optimisation within Deep Branch’s demo hall
Essential Skills, Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• MEng or equivalent qualification in Chemical Engineering or a related field
• >4 years experience working in a process engineering and/or chemical engineering role,
– Or at least 2 years experience if candidates hold a doctorate (PhD or DEng) in a related field
• Experience in design of large-scale (bio)chemical processes
• Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate complex concepts to a range of internal and external stakeholders
• Other: EU Driving License, English language fluency,
Prefered Skills, Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• Dutch language proficiency
• Experience in the scale-up of fermentation-based technologies
• Knowledge of regulatory and validation requirements for GMP
We’re an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity of thought and know that this often comes from a diversity of life experiences.
All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
We request that applicants provide a cover letter and CV to [email protected] and following assessment of these, candidates may be invited to an online interview
The interview process may have multiple stages, but we will endeavour to be as transparent as possible and let you know as soon as we can if we think that there will not be a good fit
In light of COVID-19, Deep Branch is following government guidelines on travel and working arrangements
This may require an extra degree of flexibility from both parties both during the recruitment process and the beginning of the role
Gross annual salary: £35-45K
Holidays: 33 days inclusive of national holidays (national holidays falling between Monday and Friday contribute to total holidays, regardless of working schedule for employees above 0.6 FTE. All employees can choose for these to contribute to holiday allowance and work national holidays subject to approval)