30 Jun Associate Strain Development Scientist
ASSOCIATE STRAIN DEVELOPMENT SCIENTIST
Deep Branch Bio are an investee company of BioCity Group.
Deep Branch is a carbon recycling biotechnology company. We use microbes to convert carbon dioxide from industrial emissions into high-value products. We’re a fast-growing and agile startup with commercial activities both in the UK and the Netherlands.
Sustainability of animal farming and broader concerns regarding reduction of emissions are two of the biggest problems of our time. By 2050 the world’s carbon emissions must be net-zero to avoid environmental catastrophe, yet by this point our planet’s population is predicted to increase by a third. With average consumption of animal products increasing, it’s thought that the output of animal farming will have to double to meet demand.
Of the total emissions associated with the average person, approximately one quarter comes from diet and the majority of those emissions are associated with animal products. Although at Deep Branch we recognise the best way to reduce dietary carbon intensity is to reduce meat consumption, we’re pragmatic in recognising that not everyone sees it this way. At Deep Branch, we’re tackling this problem through the development of Proton™, our single-cell protein.
We have partnered with two multinational animal feed producers to co-develop Proton™-based feeds for use in aquaculture and poultry. Over the next two years, we’ll be scaling our output and working together to finalise feed formulations for an anticipated 2023 market launch. Rather than relying on the conventional protein sources of protein, fishmeal and soy, which are often shipped from South America, Proton™-based feeds can be produced from locally sourced ingredients with 90% less carbon intensity. Proton™ is not just dramatically more sustainable, it’s also cost-competitive, making the transition to Proton™-based feeds an easy decision to make.
Job Title: Associate Strain Development Scientist
Start date: 1 September 2020
Work Location: Nottingham, UK
Division/Department: Core R&D
Reports to: Head of Strain Development
Time commitment: 1.0 FTE
Conventional working hours: Any 8 hours per day between 8AM and 7PM, Monday to Friday. Evening and weekend work may be required.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Become fully proficient in strain development techniques for the microbes used in Deep Branch’s CO2-to-X platform, including GMO and non-GMO methodologies
• Become familiar with culturing, sampling and storing microbial strains and assume responsibility for the day-to-day management of strain and sample storage
• Monitor the usage of consumables and manage inventory
• Manage data generated from the R&D team and be responsible for the build out and update of a dashboard to provide weekly updates of the progression of specific Key Performance Indicators for various work streams across the R&D team
• Work alongside the Head of Strain Development in optimising the interface between digital and physical R&D organisational systems
Essential Skills, Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• A BSc and preferably MSc in molecular biology, microbiology, synthetic biology or a related field
Strong data management proficiency with high proficiency in Microsoft Excel or functionally equivalent software
• Experience in drafting Standard Operating Procedures and administering sample management systems
• Strong communication skills and a willingness to learn new concepts
• Other: English language fluency
Prefered Skills, Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• >2 years experience working a microbiology laboratory or related environment
We’re an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity of thought and know that this often comes from a diversity of life experiences.
All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
We request that applicants provide a cover letter and CV to [email protected] and following assessment of these, candidates may be invited to an online interview
The interview process may have multiple stages, but we will endeavour to be as transparent as possible and let you know as soon as we can if we think that there will not be a good fit
In light of COVID-19, Deep Branch is following government guidelines on travel and working arrangements
This may require an extra degree of flexibility from both parties both during the recruitment process and the beginning of the role
Gross annual salary: £25-30K
Holidays: 33 days inclusive of national holidays (national holidays falling between Monday and Friday contribute to total holidays, regardless of working schedule for employees above 0.6 FTE. All employees can choose for these to contribute to holiday allowance and work national holidays subject to approval)