01 Sep Associate Director/Director Computational Chemistry
BioAscent is looking to recruit an experienced individual to lead the computational chemistry activities in a fast-growing, people-orientated services business.
The successful candidate will be a highly experienced scientist with a solid theoretical and practical experience of structure based and ligand-based design, cheminformatics, virtual screening, QSAR and data mining. An innovative problem-solver with an interest in hypothesis driven drug design to deliver the highest quality science that makes an impact on client projects.
Main duties and responsibilities:
– Building and maintaining a state-of-the-art computational chemistry group
– Taking an active role to support and drive computational chemistry within client projects that advance them against key milestones
– Providing scientific leadership to the organisation in computational chemistry
– Working closely with business development and department heads to contribute to the assembly, costing, and presentation of project proposals
– Communication of your results both internally and externally and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team
– Maintaining your knowledge of new trends and technologies and where appropriate implementing these within the company
– The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate or possess the following:
– Candidates must be professionally qualified with a PhD in Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Molecular Modelling, or another related discipline
– Minimum of ten years industry experience in computational chemistry within a CRO or pharmaceutical company
– Expertise in structure and ligand-based design
– Expertise in protein sequence analysis and homology modelling across a range of protein classes
– Expertise in retrieving and analysing data from multiple sources including the patent and scientific literature
– Expertise in applying modern cheminformatic methods to maximise knowledge from data
– A working knowledge of structural alerts, chemical stability, and organic chemistry
– Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to effectively describe results and ideas
– Fluency in written and spoken English
– Experience of interpreting SAR and producing tractable and rational plans for optimisation of compounds across a selection of properties e.g. bioactivity, DMPK, physicochemical properties
– Knowledge of common scripting languages, relational databases and pipelining tools
– Fragment-based drug discovery
Desirable individual characteristics should include:
– Innovative and creative thinking
– Strong problem-solving skills
– A commitment to quality and scientific rigour
– Enthusiasm for generating knowledge from data
– A team player who is not afraid to take the lead, speak up, or compromise
You will have a flexible approach to your work, possess outstanding communication skills and be able to demonstrate your ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
To find out more and apply:
If you are interested in joining a successful, novel and award-winning company that places its people at the heart of its business, please send your CV and covering letter to [email protected] citing job reference CC0820.
Please note you must be eligible and able to work in the UK. Please include details of your eligibility in your covering letter.